Title

Our Love Filled Life

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken


I know I've said it before but I love my Crock-Pot. It's one of my favorite kitchen appliances! My Kitchen-Aid Mixer is my # 1. My Crock-Pot is my # 2. I absolutely love how effortless making a delicious meal can be. Often times I find myself trying to figure out what I'll be making for dinner that night when it's 9:00 in the morning. Lately I've been trying to get suggestions from my husband for dinner ideas - or my brother-in-law...And I usually get the confused look, the shrugged shoulders, and the same words I hear oh so often. "Whatever you'd like...?"


Ladies, (or gents) I'm not sure if you can feel with me on this...But that answer can be totally unsatisfying and frustrating! My response to that answer is the eye roll first off. Then I ask "Well what would you feel like eating tonight?" And they usually say "I'm fine with anything..." UGH! MEN! Well, I guess I can't complain because I'm sure I've said that same answer once or twice before;) But I've just been running out of ideas of what to make...and when I find myself in that predicament, I usually end up checking out sixsistersstuff.com for some inspiration! I ended up finding their recipe for Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken, and I knew this is what I wanted to make for dinner. It looked super simple and easy and required pretty basic ingredients. One thing I would end up changing about this dish though is not adding the red pepper flakes. It was a little too much heat for me...but if you like your food abit on the spicy side then you should definitely keep this ingredient. I purchased one of the Club House packets for the Asian Sesame Salmon - Which worked out great because it had all of the ingredients that I needed instead of purchasing all of them separately. 


You can serve this chicken over white rice like I did or you can even use noodles if you'd like. I've been wanting to share it with you all for awhile now. Better late than never, right? Especially when it comes to something delicious! :) So here it is! 


Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too)
Salt and Pepper
1 cup Honey
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
4 Tsp of cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tbsp of water
Sesame seeds


1. Season both sides of chicken lightly with salt and pepper.


2. Put into crock-pot. 



3. In a small bowl combine Honey, Soy Sauce, Ketchup, Onion, Garlic, and Red pepper flakes. 


4. Pour over chicken. 



5. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on High for 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken if fully cooked through.  Remove chicken from Crock-pot and leave sauce. 


6. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. 



7. Dissolve 4 Tsp of cornstarch into 6 Tbsp of water and pour into crock-pot. 


8. Stir to combine with sauce. 


9. Replace lid and cook sauce on high until slightly thickened. Add chicken to the sauce and toss to coat before serving. 


10. Serve over rice or noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and freshly chopped scallions. 
**You can also sprinkle more red pepper flakes on top if you'd like more heat.**


And Enjoy!






1 comment: