Title

Our Love Filled Life

Monday, January 28, 2013

Potato & Leek Soup


I love waking up to this winter wonderland here in Kitchener. Everything looks so beautifully white and there is just something so pretty about the way the snow sticks to the trees. I enjoy watching the snowflakes drift to the ground, and try to figure out what kind of animal tracked his footprints through our backyard throughout the night. As I stare out my living room window at the Chicopee Ski hill - I'm thankful to be in my cozy warm house! I admire those brave people out there. A lot of people would say that I'm not a true Canadian, considering I just shovelled my driveway for all of 15 minutes and I'm so happy to be inside! 


 Even though a few weeks back we got a friendly reminder of what warmer weather feels like, winter is (unfortunately) back in full swing this week! I have to remind myself sometimes that there is still so much to love about these cold months. Warm fluffy slippers, Snuggling of course, Cozy thick blankets, A mug filled to the brim with hot chocolate, Oh yes...and Comfort Food! One of my favourite comfort foods on a day like today is definitely homemade soup. I'd like to share this delicious recipe with all of you for Potato and Leek soup! I first tried this soup at my Aunt Sue's place around the holidays and I didn't hesitate to ask for a pen and some paper to jot down the recipe. This soup is packed full of flavour and can be done and in your bowl in 40 minutes or less - It really is super simple to make and you won't regret it. 

If you'd like to give this recipe a try, here are the ingredients you'll need:


3 large Leeks, cut lengthwise. 
3 Tbsp of Butter
2 Celery stalks, diced
1 Carrot, diced 
(Excuse my carrots - I steamed and pureed them all for Landon and forgot to leave some for the soup. But they still worked of course they were just pureed already instead of later.)
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
2 lbs ( about 4) potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups of vegetable broth
2 cups of water
2 Tbsp of minced fresh parsley


1. Cut and wash leeks


2. Peel and cut potatoes. 



3. Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a large pot. Cover pot, and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.  Check often. Do not brown leeks! Browning will give leeks a burnt taste. 





4. Add water, broth, potatoes, carrots and chopped celery. Bring to a slow simmer and cook for 30 minutes. 



5. Scoop the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to the pot.



6. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Stir.




And Enjoy!



As always - Have a great week everyone! Stay warm:)




2 comments: