Title

Our Love Filled Life

Monday, October 22, 2012

Apple Streusel Muffins


Mondays always seem to be the craziest day of the week for me! Besides it being "Laundry day/Change the bed sheets day"...along with picking up random stuff that has been tossed here and there from the weekend - Oh, and having a 5 month old - it's hard for me to find the time to do much else. But I'm not complaining over here! I love keeping busy :) 


Last week we went out with Ben's Aunt and Uncle for dinner. It's always something special for us to see them because they are 2 of the nicest people I have ever met! Seriously. They are always so loving and sweet and there has never been a time we have left their place empty handed. As we were pulling into the King's Buffet parking lot to meet them - I noticed Aunt Gisela carrying a pretty big bag of apples. As we walked towards them she had the biggest smile on her face, gave me a big hug, and said "I went to the St. Jacobs market today and I got some apples for you!" I couldn't believe the size of them! On the drive home all I could smell in the car were these deliciously fresh apples - and all I was thinking about was "How in the world are we going to eat all of these apples before they go bad???" My answer : I need to bake A LOT this week! Of course we had a few just as is - and wow were they ever fresh and juicy!


One of the recipes I'd like to share with you this week is for Apple Streusel Muffins. They are super simple to make of course and they're perfect for those busy mornings when you need a quick "out-the-door" breakfast. My favorite part about them that makes them so amazing is the streusel topping. You could always skip this step of course - but why on earth would you want to!? The brown sugar topping gives the top of these muffins a slight crunch and so much extra flavor because of the cinnamon - but yet they are super moist on the inside!

I made a double batch of these muffins which called for 3 cups of apples - and can you believe I only ended up using 1 of the ginormous apples!!!??? So I guess I'll have to get creative and think of some other delicious apple recipes to use the rest up. If you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them! :) 

If you'd like to give these a try here is everything you'll need to get started:

**These measurments are for a normal batch, NOT a double batch.)


Ingredients:

2 cups of flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 tsp of vanilla
1 1/2 cups of chopped apples

**Topping**

1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
1 tbsp of flour
1/8 tsp of cinnamon
1 tbsp of butter

1. First chop your apples into small chunks. Then Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line pan with paper liners. 


2. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. 


3. In a large bowl beat together butter, sugar, and eggs until smooth. Mix in vanilla. 





4. Stir in apples, and gradually blend in flour mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan. 







5. In a small bowl mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the tops of the muffins. 




6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. 



Enjoy with a nice hot cup of tea or coffee! Oh how I love fall! Don't forget to give me some ideas of what I should make next! ;) Hope you all have an awesome week! Take care!




















2 comments:

  1. Wow, they look good. If you want to bake me a maple apple pie with crumble topping I wouldn't say no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were absolutely delicious. I sat down and ate three all in one go. After working out too, tisk tisk, but they are really that good.

    ReplyDelete