Title

Our Love Filled Life

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chocolate Caramel Squares



My day was quite eventful today - between going through my bag summer clothes in the basement, catching up on laundry, a dentist appointment, baking an extremely tasty chocolate caramel treat, and making dinner - the day flew by pretty fast! I can hardly believe tomorrow is Friday already! 


I just wanted to leave you all with another recipe from the amazing chocolate book I talked about yesterday. The first thing that came to my mind after taking the first bite was a Twix chocolate bar! At first I thought it was just me - but when Ben took a bite and said the exact same thing...I knew I wasn't crazy! They are seriously so delicious and I will for sure be making them again next time I need to bring a dessert somewhere! Hope you all have a great weekend :)




Here is everything you'll need for this recipe




Chocolate Caramel Squares

     1/3 cup soft margarine
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats


Caramel filling

2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 cup condensed milk

Topping

100 grams semisweet chocolate 
25 grams white chocolate (optional)


  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat together the margarine and brown sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.




2. Beat in the flour and the rolled oats. Use your fingertips to bring the mixture together, if necessary.




3. Press the mixture into the bottom of a shallow 8 inch / 20 cm square cake pan. ( I had to use a bigger size pan since I didn't have a smaller one, but it still worked out fine...my squares were just thinner.)



4. Bake the mixture in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and  firm. Cool in the pan. 


5. Place the ingredients for the caramel filling in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring slowly to a boil over very low heat, then boil very gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. 



6. Pour the caramel filling over the oat layer in the pan and let set.


7. For the topping, melt the semisweet chocolate and spread it over the caramel. 



8. If using the white chocolate, place it in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water until melted. 



9. Pipe lines of white chocolate over the semisweet chocolate. Using a toothpick, feather the white chocolate into the semisweet chocolate. Let set, then cut into squares to serve. 



(Mine are alot thinner than the picture in the book because of the pan I used haha.) 







1 comment: